Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Irrationality!

I'm not a hypochondriac in any way. I don't even know when the last time I went to the Doctor was. But I suppose I am slightly anxiety prone, and hearing the word Pandemic every day... honestly FREAKS ME OUT! Just a little. And I haven't quite figured out why. I mean statistically I have more of a chance of getting in a car accident, then I do of dying from the pig flu, and I know this and I realize this.. but somewhere in the back of my head theres a unreasonable panic about it all. Not a huge panic, I haven't pulled my kids out of school and become a shut in or anything like that. But yesterday when I went to the store grocery shopping, I kept my distance. And then my imagination really started whirling, because Kasey coughed (which she has been doing for over a week as she does every allergy season) and I felt others eyes boring into my very skin... although there was not even anyone in the same isle as me. I'm a freak, I admit it, and I embrace it most of the time... but I honestly don't think my paranoia is getting me anywhere today. I've joined the rest of the crazies. But when it comes right down to it, it's not the flu itself that scares me, it's the idea of something I can't control, something I can't control totally, a harm that I can't keep from my children. I hate that kind of stuff, I hate the unknown. Unknown=Fear, and I do not like feeling afraid. So there you have it my take and silliness on the headlines of today.

4 comments:

Mama Echo said...

My brother was sick last week and I keep teasing him that it was the swine flu. One of these days, it will make it up to MT and then it won't be funny anymore.

lvh said...

I have to go to CO for work next week - spend at least 9 hours for 5 days cooped up in a conference room with 15 other people coming from Canada, Great Britain, Australia, TX, NY and various other places. I am already thinking I have to buy rubber gloves and everything else I can possibly think of to take with me. Since I work at home, I rarely encounter germs any more so not looking forward to this trip at all.

Anonymous said...

When I feel this way (like I'm not in control of my life or something in it) I fold paper and cut snowflakes or color with markers. I know it sounds silly but there's something relaxing about being able to create something beautiful that didn't exist before. I have control of what the thing looks like in the end. And the stuff in my life that bothers me sort of takes a back seat for a while. Try finding your thing that you can focus on instead of thinking too much about the stuff that you can't controll.

Michelle said...

Swine flu has arrived in UT. I'm officially freaked right along with you!!!!