Tuesday, April 14, 2009

SOS!

I have had the most clumsy week ever. I've dropped 2... not 1 but 2 very large ice soda messy messy messy all over the floor. While baking Kaseys cake, I went to take out the cupcakes and caught my hand on the top of the oven... ouch. Then on Easter morning I was about to make some bunny shaped pancakes for breakfast and I dropped the whole bowl full of pancake batter into a sink full of dirty soapy dish water, needless to say we didn't have pancakes for breakfast. So I'm trying to pin point where my clumsiness is coming from, but until I figure it out I'm kind of leery to hold anything to fragile. I'm not sure where I was going with all of that, because on top of the clumsiness I've felt completely brain dead. Forgetful and clumsy what a wonderful combination, on top of the fact that my brain is hurting more frequently then it has since I got my wisdom teeth pulled. So in all of this I'm going to really go a different direction because that goes hand in hand with being brain dead and clumsy... I'm also scattered, I mean all over the place and it's probably why I never get anything done. My husband says I need to write things down, but then it would just be one more written thing I could say "oh I can do that tomorrow" about. So back to my thought, I've decided that the most horrible thing I have to do all week (and I'm sure some of you can agree with me) is making the weeks menu. I go shopping once a week, and before I go I write down what we will eat that week, so that I can get everything for those particular meals. I HATE THIS! I have a super hard time coming up with things to eat. I hate eating the same boring meals over and over and over. But I get sucked into the simpleness of it. Sure hubby would be happy if we ate tacos every other night... but the kids wouldn't and I have grown to despise tacos. So I've tried to make a list of possible meal ideas. Things I feel confident in making, that are easy enough, and don't require crazy ingredients that simple folk like myself don't have around. So here's where you all come in real handy. Please take a moment and think of 4 or 5 or more of your families favorite meals, or things you liked to eat while growing up. Leave your ideas in my comments please... I would greatly appreciate all the ideas I can get... so instead of worrying about whats for dinner I can have time to drop things and forget stuff!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1-2-3 Super

Layer these things in a rectangular cake pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or untill the potatoes are soft.

Bottom layer: 1 Lb. Ground Beef ( pressit flat into the the bottom of the pan).

Put salt & Pepper & Garlic (or any other spices you like) on the meat layer.

Next Layer: 2 large onions sliced. Spread evenly over the beef.

Next layer: 5 medium potatoes sliced. You can peel them or leave the skins on if you want. The thinner you slice them the quicker they will cook. Spread the slices evenly over the onions.

Next layer: 5 stalks of celery sliced thin. Spred the celery evenly over the potato layer.

Next layer: 5 Carrots sliced. Spread the carrots evenly over the Celery.

Next layer: 2 cans of Cream of mushroom soup. Spread like icing over the whole top of the casserole.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or untill the potatoes are tender. To serve cut in squares.

Anonymous said...

Shepherd's Pie

Layer everything in a rectangular cake pan and bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.

Bottom layer: 1 Lb. ground beef. (press the raw meat evenly into bottom of pan) You can use Ground Chicken or Turkey if you want, but you have to grease the bottom of the pan first).

Season meat with salt and pepper and garlic or any other seasoning you like.

Next layer: 2 large onions diced. Spread the onions evenly over the meat. (you can use 1/4 cup of dried onions here if you don't have raw).

Next layer: 1 bag of frozen peas and carrots. Spread evenly over the onions.

Next layer: 1 quart of beef gravy. (You can make your own gravy, or make the one with the powdered mix and water, or just go the easy way and buy the jar of gravy ready to serve). (2 cans of cream of mushroom soup will work here too).

Next layer: 1 medium box of mashed potatoes mixed up with 2 eggs and salt and pepper to taste. (make them ahead and spread them on the top like icing. If you want to be fancy you can put the potatoes in a icing bag and pipe a star tip design on top. The largest star tip (like the one the restaurants use) will make the best design).

Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or untill the beef is done. Then brown the top under thee broiler if you want it to look fancy.

To serve cut into squares.

Anonymous said...

Tamale Pie

Layer these things in a rectangular cake pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Bottom Layer: 1 Lb. Ground Beef. Press raw ground beef evenly into the bottom of the pan.

Season with salt, pepper and taco seasoning.

Next layer: 2 large onions diced. Spered evenly over the meat.

Next layer: 2 cans of corn. (You can use frozen if you want). Spread evenly over the onions.

Next layer: 3 large red bell peppers diced. Spread evenly over the corn.

Next layer: 2 cans of beans. (I like the Ranch Style beans With Sliced Jalapeno Peppers). Don't drain the sauce off & Spread evenly over the bel peppers.

Next layer: 1 medium box of conbread mix. Mix according to the package directions and spreead the batter over the casserole like icing.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or untill the beef is cooked, and the corn bread is golden brown.

Cut in squares to serve. I like to serve some shreadded lettuce, diced tomato, and sour cream & sliced black olives on top if I want to be fancy. You could also serve with bottled salsa on top.

purplepureness said...

We also fall into that rut alot of times since our kids are super picky but we have tried new things at least once a month.
My all time favorites:
Lasagne
Meatloaf
stir-fry and homemade egg rolls
Chicken brocolli and rice.
oh and sour cream chicken enchaladas ( which was one of those looking through the cook books and wanting to find something new recipies.)

Michelle said...

This may be a bigger project than you want to conquer, but it totally pays off. I went through my recipe box and cookbooks and made a list of all the things I ACTUALLY MAKE for dinner. Then I divided them up by meat-- beef, pork, chicken. I made a separate section for soups/salads and special meals that we only do on Sundays. I keep this list handy, so when I can't think of anything besides tacos, I look over the list for inspiration. As far as meal planning, I recently printed off a calendar of the month, and marked each day of the week with a category: "special" for Sunday, then soup/salad Monday, beef Tuesday, Chicken Wednesday, Pork Thursday, Friday- kids choice, and Saturday Left-overs. Then I brainstormed four meals from each category for the month. It rotates you through all your recipes, and you don't have to think about it much. This idea I stole from one of those Super Moms in Nathan's home ward. It works great.

Elise said...

Your not pregnant are you? :) Just kidding, I remember loosing my mind the first time I was preggers before I even knew that I was. Anyway, Here's the quick and easy.
-Spaghetti
-veggie steam bags in the freezer isle
-octopus hotdogs (if you are curious let me know)
-frito pie (chips, ranch style beans,cheese and some tasty veggies on the side.
-taco salad (ground beef, lettuce, chips, tomato, sour cream, and whatever else you like.)